Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chickens in the Garden


We use a lot of mulch, so much so, in fact, that I have a set of neighbors who call me "Mulch Lady".
That's ok.
What is not ok is when I find gross things in the mulch pile. I find bones, dead animals, and lots and LOTS of bugs. Hey, I get the fact that decomposers are necessary, but when I'm putting down mulch for a vegetable garden, I start to wonder just how many termites are good for tomatoes. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing I have too many.
So, I put my chickens to work!


They LOVE eating bugs from the mulch.
And a bonus is that it keeps them busy while the babies test out the chicken yard:


Right now the babies are a bit overwhelmed by the yard, even their little quarantined section of the yard where the rye grass has grown so happily. Huddling together behind the waterer seems like a good idea. The older chickens aren't too fond of the babies and squawk loudly at me as if to say, "There are some strange birds in that grassy area of our yard! Do something!"
The babies still come in at night to sleep under their heat lamp in their refurbished pack-and-play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!