Sunday, June 6, 2010

Learning from Potatoes

Here at Apple Falls, we do not claim to be master gardeners.  We don't even claim to be 'real' gardeners.  As a matter of fact, when people come to us with questions about growing things or maintaining a garden, my husband and I usually qualify each answer with, "...But we don't really *know* what we're doing...!"  A fine example of this trait is found in our potato patch. 
Having never grown potatoes before, we thought we'd give it a try.  We don't eat a lot of potatoes, but we do eat french fries (you know, those frozen things from the grocery store???) and we like the idea of harvesting something that doesn't need to be canned or eaten right away since we're usually up to our ears in tomatoes and apples each fall.
It has been a great learning experience for everyone at our house to watch the potatoes grow.  Even from guests, we hear comments like, "I didn't know potatoes had bushy green leaves above ground," and the newest comment is, "I didn't know potatoes had flowers."  They do indeed have flowers and are a very pretty addition to the Fairy Tale Garden.  We can't wait to see what else we learn from them this season.



2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting. I never thought about what the top side of a potato looked like. I guess I thought it vined. Do the flowers smell good? This makes me want to plant a potato and see what happens. Thanks for sharing your gardening experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. I have potatoes in my garden... and they have no flowers! Stupid things. I fear I may not have a green thumb.
    I love that adorable Potato sign, too cute. I need to get crackin' and make some garden markers. Love poking thru your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!